- A military veteran accused in the Capitol riot said in an interview that he was misled by QAnon.
- James Wayne said he wouldn’t have entered the Capitol knowing QAnon conspiracy theories were false.
- But he told local news station WJHL that he still would have gone to the rally.
A suspect in the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot said in an interview he wouldn’t have entered the building had he known QAnon conspiracy theories were false.
But the man said he still would have gone to the rally.
Johnson City, Tennessee, resident James Wayne told local news station WJHL on Tuesday that he had been reading QAnon conspiracy theories online in the weeks leading up to the riot.
“What we were being told was that the FBI and the soldiers were standing behind Trump because it was a fraudulent election and arrests were going to be made,” Brooks told the station after he reached out and agreed to be interviewed.
Brooks added: “If had known then, what I know now, that all the QAnon, underground news stuff I was reading was false, I would’ve still went, but I would not have entered the Capitol building.”
He also said people marched to the Capitol because former President Donald Trump told them to, which “could have got some extremists wound very tight.”
Brooks was arrested and charged on January 5, 2022, with four offenses related to his alleged participation in last year’s insurrection, according to court documents.
Among his charges are disorderly and disruptive conduct, and entering a restricted building, the documents show.
He told WJHL, however, that his participation was non-violent. Brooks claimed that Capitol police allowed him to enter the building and escorted him out.
Brooks’ attorneys did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.